Most experts recommend that adults get between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night.
The benefits of getting enough sleep every night include:
- Less fatigue
- Better mood
- Weight loss and weight maintenance
- Sharper memory and increased concentration
- Stronger immunity
- Increased pain threshold
- Better hand-eye coordination, and decreased chance of an accident
- Feeling less stressed
Many people experience the negative effects of not getting enough sleep, especially after Daylight Saving’s time. Losing just one hour of sleep can affect your circadian rhythm.
HOW DO YOU GET MORE SLEEP?
Experts recommend incorporating some or all of the following sleep hygiene practices to increase your chances of falling asleep faster:
- Exercise several hours before bedtime
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol at night
- Maintain the same bedtime and waking time, even on weekends
- Do not use electronics in bed or leave the TV on while trying to fall asleep
Over-the-counter or prescription sleep medication may aid in the sleep process, if recommended by your health care practitioner.
Please come in today if you feel that you are not getting the sleep you need. No appointment is necessary!